It’s no surprise that you are returning to Thailand, most people become smitten with this unique nation with a people and a culturelike no other. Formerly Siam, Thailand is the only country not to fall to colonisation and their culture has not been influenced by the west, at least not until the 70s, when tourism really took off. A proud nation, the Thai people are always smiling and happy; there’s a lesson there for all of us, and if you are planning to visit Phuket in the south, here are a few activities to book.
- Charter a yacht – The best way to appreciate the Andaman Sea is from your own private yacht; you can book from your luxury 4-star hotel in Phuket and take your snorkel gear and be prepared to be amazed! The skippers know the best reefs for snorkelling and if you form a group, chartering a yacht for the day is not going to break the bank and you drop anchor in a stunning cove and enjoy the sunset over a few drinks.
- Train Muay Thai – If you are a budding MMA fighter, the gyms in Phuket are perfect; if you’re just a UFC fan, you’ll see some of the top ranked fighters training and it is worth checking out the major gyms. If you’re staying for a few months, sign up for a class and get fit at the same time.
- Deep sea fishing – Marlin fishing is something else and the Andaman Sea is home to some real monsters! There are many fishing boats that are fully equipped and ready to take you to some of the hotspots, where kingfish and marlin can be found. There are many species and the skippers know their stuff and can accommodate the species hunter. Click here for places to see when in Hawaii.
- Mediation retreat – Phuket is home to some established meditation retreats and you can recharge your spiritual batteries in serene surroundings and contemplate the meaning of life. These places are where you are likely to see megastars who wish to get away from the limelight and be pampered in seclusion. Yoga classes in the morning, a discussion with the guru and a walk in the gardens, with guided Tai-Chi on the lawn, while evenings are free time when you can walk the beach and enjoy the breeze. You will leave the retreat feeling energised and ready to take on the world.
- PADI certification – The best place to take your PADI is Phuket and they have guided sessions in the pool before you start to dive. If you have yet to experience scuba diving, a diverse marine world awaits and your instructor will be with you every step of the way. Book online and they will tell you how to prepare for the course, which will be worth the cost.
Check out the TAT website, where you’ll find info on Phuket and other destinations in Thailand and we hope your holiday is a memorable one.