You can use different styles of doors in your balcony. But the two common types of balcony doors are Casement Doors and Aluminium Sliding Doors. Both types of doors are unique in their own way. However, it’s a wise decision to compare these two doors for determining which one is best for your balcony.
But before jumping into the comparison, let’s find out the features or characteristics of these door styles individually.
- Casement doors are also called hinged doors, as they open their hinges in a swing-like motion. They open from the centre and appear much like any standard doors in your house.
- These are quite classic and chunkier in appeal compared to modern aluminium doors. So, this door style is suitable for a house with traditional decor and architecture.
- The benefit of installing Casement doors is that these doors can help you move large furniture items to your balcony without any hassle.
Aluminium sliding doors:
- Aluminium sliding doors are made of large glass panes that slide open and close to access a balcony area.
- The balcony sliding door can open by sliding it over the other door or sliding out from centre above its fixed panels.
- This door style is considered a neater and contemporary option compared to French door style, as it does not swing outwards or inwards while opening.
- The ease of opening this door makes it a better option for a home where differently-abled or elderly people live, as they can easily slide the door to open it without worrying about their fingers getting trapped in hinges.
- When opened, sliding doors won’t take up any extra space, as they can slide over each other. This makes them more space-efficient than French doors.
Casement Doors vs. Aluminium Sliding Doors
- Energy Efficiency
For homeowners who want more energy-efficiency in their home, Casement doors traditionally are a better option for their ability to retain heat and keep the cold out. Sliding doors have more glass sections, which are not good for insulation. However, modern sliding doors come with a tighter seal compared to Casement doors. Nowadays, it’s even possible to create double glazed or triple glazed sliding doors with advanced insulation feature. So, it’s fair to say that balcony sliding doors have become more energy-efficient compared to French doors.
The security level of modern aluminium sliding doors has also improved with advanced technology. Today, sliding doors are available with additional security measures, especially when you have to install these doors at the balcony. With multiple lock mechanisms and automated alarm systems, the sliding balcony doors are being considered superior to French doors.
Cost is a crucial factor when choosing a balcony door. While Casement doors are heavier than sliding aluminium doors, these are a labour-intensive option. This makes these doors pricier compare to aluminium sliding doors, which are lightweight and easy to install. Aluminium, in general, is a lightweight material and very affordable than timber Casement doors. Another factor that plays a major role in the cost of these doors is the type of security measures and customisation that a homeowner demands.
- Door Design
Design preference is also a deciding factor when choosing between balcony sliding doors and Casement doors. Casement doors boast wider door frames, which mean your home will have less natural light. Their chunky frame is more suitable for traditional homes or homeowners who prefer traditional home decor.
Aluminium sliding doors, on the other hand, bring in more daylight into the house through their narrow frame. This door style is suitable for anyone who prefers modern design and functionality. Sliding doors also provide a neater and sleeker layout to the interior.
If you have a nice landscape view from your balcony, aluminium sliding doors are the best option for you. Since sliding aluminium doors offer wider views through their larger glass panes, these doors are suitable for modern homes that demand undivided outside view from a bedroom or living area. On the other hand, Casement doors cannot open wider than sliding doors, so they offer only a restricted outside view.
Which door style is better: Frenchdoors or Aluminium sliding doors?
It depends on the preferences and requirements of homeowners. However, balcony sliding doors are considered to be the best options in terms of space-efficiency, functionality, better views, ease-of-use and ability to bring in more natural light.