There are three languages used for Android app development, and Kotlin is one of them. This open-source general-purpose programming language combines the benefits of object-oriented and functional programming to help you enter the market with superior products. It’s also in the top 4 favorite programming language options among developers worldwide and Google’s official language for Android apps since 2019.
So, if you work with Android apps or plan to launch one, you have many reasons to look for Kotlin developers for hire. Here is a handy guide for U.S.-based companies to find an expert Kotlin workforce quickly and efficiently.
Why Do You Need Kotlin?
First, you may need to consider Kotlin if you specialize in Android app development. Since the official announcement of Google placing Kotlin in line with Java and C++. Since that moment, over 70% of Android apps have been developed with Kotlin, and you can also reap the benefits of using this language as a user- and developer-friendly alternative.
You can use the Kotlin multiplatform SDK to create cross-platform apps and cross the boundaries between OSs with near-native solutions. Besides, Kotlin is a perfect choice for back-end web development. It has all tools to ensure code efficiency and security of the server-side of your app.
Other benefits of choosing Kotlin for your next app’s creation include:
Java is still the gold standard in Android development, but Kotlin is gradually taking the lead. It combines all benefits of Java with more innovative tools unique to Kotlin, thus giving coders a perfectly adaptable language.
When coding on Kotlin, you don’t need to use the boilerplate code approach. These repeated parts of the code are automatically inserted, making the process of coding quicker and more pleasant.
The availability of data type parameters in Kotlin makes error identification possible at the early stages of the development process. This feature minimizes the risks of bugs in the resulting product.
Kotlin-based products can be easily maintained and upgraded using integrated development environments (IDEs). The latter make the process safer, giving developers robust and secure spaces for code maintenance.
Candidates’ Skills and Requirements
When looking for your ideal Kotlin expert, you need to consider what responsibilities and roles they will perform in your company. In most cases, these include:
- Effective coding in Kotlin from scratch
- Translating specific project requirements into concise, clear code
- Code optimization for better app performance
- Creating high-quality, reusable code
- Seamless API integration in the app’s architecture
- Teamwork with other Kotlin coders, web designers, QA specialists, and UI/UX experts
- Troubleshooting and code audit
- Integration of security measures and technologies in the app’s architecture to prevent hacks and vulnerabilities
It is also vital to keep in mind that a Kotlin coder is expected to contribute to all stages of the development cycle, which cover discovery, UI design and planning, the actual coding phase, and testing before the launch. The role of an experienced Kotlin specialist is to align the project’s requirements with the clients’ needs and expectations, creating an app matching the negotiated specifications. The developer’s responsibility also lies in the provision of secure, effective, and functional code free from bugs and errors so that it can deliver value to target users after its launch on the app market.
With all these factors in mind, you need to scan the candidates’ resumes for the following skills and expertise:
- Strong Java and Kotlin knowledge
- Expertise in Android SDK and Android Studio with relevant examples in the portfolio
- Agile development experience
- Awareness of the developer’s role at each stage of the app production lifecycle
- Mastery of RESTful APIs
- XML experience
- QA testing, bug identification, and troubleshooting of Android apps
- Analytical skills
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Strong communication skills
- Time management
Tips on Writing a Perfect Job Description
Finding the right talent for your project is only half of the task. You should also make the Kotlin coders interested in working with your company, which is attainable with a catchy and informative job description. Here’s how you can maximize the value of your vacancy’s publication.
- Introduce yourself. Give a brief overview of your business, its niche, culture, and benefits for the staff. Give links to your corporate website and social media accounts.
- Describe the vacancy. Here you need to present your business staffing need in detail. Be clear about the tech stack you’re looking for. This will weed out the candidates with irrelevant expertise, thus saving your recruiters’ time and nerves.
- State the responsibilities. Provide a full list of the developer’s responsibilities in the workplace. This section will communicate the scope of job duties, letting the coders evaluate their match for the job before applying.
- Enumerate the skills. This is a very important section that indicates what criteria you need the candidate to possess. Make sure you list mandatory criteria first and then indicate the optional tech stack. It will serve as a checklist for the contenders wishing to apply for the vacancy.
What Are the Reasonable Rates?
The size of remuneration for a Kotlin developer also matters much when choosing an expert for your team. Rates differ broadly depending on the coder’s location and the model of work – in-house versus outsourcing. Thus, you may need to pay $40-45 per hour to a Kotlin coder in Western and Central Europe and $90 to U.S.-based developers.
Rates in Asia and Eastern Europe can be as low as $15-20 per hour without quality compromises. However, working with distant developers may often be challenging for a U.S.-based company because of time zone differences and inefficient communication. Thus, we recommend picking a Kotlin coder conveniently located in an overlapping time zone with your U.S. office to ensure that several hours a day can be allocated to project discussions and real-time feedback.