Visual Communication is a discipline that involves communicating with target audience non-verbally but using visual means. Thus in order to better communicate the message, you are required to learn various skills such as animation, graphic design, illustration, photography, as well as even editing or airbrushing, of photographs. Technological advancement has made it pertinent for them to be knowledgeable about use of different software. As a student, you are inspired to choose an area of specialization that may include graphic design in addition to professional digital photography, digital animation, computer illustration, animation, mixed visual media and advertising.
Graphic Design is a specialized discipline that is a subset of visual communication and mainly focuses on planning and communicating experiences, insights and ideas through use of graphics or visual elements along with textual content for a better and comprehensive marketing & advertising campaigns, websites and print materials. Graphic designer’s main concern is craft graphical elements that form a part of the broader visual communication process. Graphic design involves specializations like computer graphics, motion graphics, animation, website graphic designs etc.
Difference between Visual Communication and Graphic Design:
While Graphic Design is a subset of Visual Communication and is a specialization under it, hence limited or confined, Visual Communication is much broader and wide-ranging field of study that is concerned with communication with both clients as well as customers via visual means. Graphic Design is concerned with creation of design elements that will complement Visual Communication strategies. In short, Visual Communicators utilize Graphic Design as a problem-solving tool in illustration, typography, or photography.
Visual Communication is more focused on skills like photography, animation¸ graphic design, illustration or airbrushing etc. Graphic Design is all about graphic elements that require skills in not only varied computer applications including Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop etc., but also in its (graphics) usage in websites, printed ads, social media platforms and varies other media.
Visual Communication Design course:
To enhance your career in visual communication design, students must identify and select that college that offers:
- The curriculum must provide students with competencies in application of design principles to a varied communication challenges across diverse media.
- The program must equip students with an understanding of impact of socio cultural settings on people so that they can device apt strategies & innovative concepts leading to communication products, systems & services.
- The curriculum must ensure student’s competencies in typography, graphics, motion graphics, sequential art, image processing, illustration and narration.
- The college must encourage the students to work not only with traditional print media, but also contemporary digital medium.
- The college must equip the students with competencies to develop innovative approach to problem solving through blend of technical comprehension with diverse research methodologies.
- Students not only learn to merge communication with art and technology, but also on ways to build, analyze and evaluate diverse digital products and services. .
- The course must ensure that students gain appropriate exposure to diverse industries- game developing, advertising, Web/mobile app designing, VFX, Multimedia designing, Interaction Designers, pre & post production in entertainment industry etc.
- The students must gain exposure through interaction with experts, live projects as well as internships
Register now and gain wings to fly in your career.