Antique door handles are not just to pull or push a door. These handles are also great to complete the whole look of a stylish door. Since the door is the first thing that people often see while entering your home, it got to be visually appealing. Even its accessories, like door handles, must be in good condition.
Wondering how to maintain the aesthetic appearance of your antique door handles? Well, keeping antique door handles as new is not a complex process. You can easily clean them using a simple process given here:
1. Applying the Mixture
Make a mixture of around half a cup of white vinegar and one tablespoon of salt. You can put the mixture on the antique door handles using a scrub pad. Also, apply it carefully to the circles. According to the age of the brass, it may get tarnished. However, with the mixture, its aesthetics may begin to shine.
2. Removing the Mixture
Now take a cloth for wiping off the mixture from your antique door handles. If there is too much tarnish, you have to reapply the mixture with the scrub pad. Keep repeating this process until the antique door handles become shiny and clean.
3. Maintain Antique Door Handles
You may repeat the whole process whenever the antique door handles start to get tarnished. This is how you can maintain them regularly to appear as new.
Repairing Inset Hinges And Door Knobs Quickly
A hinge inset requires a good design with proper cabinet doors, which you need to flush against the face of a cabinet. These are famous in kitchen cabinets, entertainment centers, and medicine cabinets. These may be difficult to install but simple to repair.
Inspect the Knobs and Hinge
Before beginning to clean and repair the hinges and doorknobs, have a closer look at finding what’s wrong. In many cases, a hinge may need simple tightening with a quick twist of a screwdriver. You can even use a flashlight for inspecting the screws.
Tighten Up The Assembly
For large doors, you need someone’s help to hold them in place. Don’t tighten anything unless a door is in the proper place and aligned well. Also, use a small screwdriver for tightening the screws. Make sure to check the assembly on the door within the cabinet.
Oil the Hinge
If a hinge becomes squeaky, you need to take basic household oil and lubricate it. Also, use a small straw that comes with the spray. Further, apply a small mixture of center within a portion of a hinge. Keep opening and closing a door to distribute the oil well.
How to Take Care of Your Antique Door Handles
Here are the important steps to keep in mind to take care of your antique door handles:
- Cleaning: Carefully remove the hardware at least once a year and clean it properly. Start with a sponge and mild detergent wash. If you are cleaning brass, you can use a brass polish on it after cleaning. For its screws, you can leave them in lemon juice overnight and buff dry them before installing them on the door.
- Lubricate: After removing the hardware for cleaning, you have to lubricate the hardware. It is best to use penetrating oil on the hinges and locks. But don’t overspray, as it can leave a residue.
- Replace it: If your main door’s antique door handles have worn off, it’s best to replace them. If you don’t want to invest in new ones, consider switching them with the hardware of a door that’s used very little.
- Search for hardware dealers: If you find a part missing in your door handle, it is best to start looking for hardware dealers. Odds are that you may find a good dealer offering you a good-quality door handle at a reasonable price.
- Imitate it: In case a hinge or doorknob is too old to repair, you can head to the hardware dealers specializing in creating imitation antique-looking products. These pieces may not be authentic but give a similar effect as that of the antique door handles. Some purists may not agree to it. But if your hardware has some value, you can trade it for another piece that gives you the perfect old-fashioned look. However, the performance is modern.
- Match: When looking for replacement hardware, ask the dealer to give you a sample. You can take a good picture that captures a particular hardware finish or paint the shade of wood. It helps you and your dealer to pick the right replacement that suits any house.
- Go for the traditional look: Whenever you’re working on old hardware, there are many pros to choosing a traditional screwdriver instead of a power driver. This is also considered a good move to protect the threads.