Thinking back to your childhood, what was the best part of being a kid? It’s hard not to think of when you were free from stress and worries. Spending time with friends outside, playing games, or going on an adventure has always been the best part of being a child. With your adult life being quite stressful at times, it’s no wonder that more and more adults are rediscovering the child in themselves by going back to their happy place: playing like a kid again.
The resurgence in popularity of small-scale ‘forts’ has led many adults to build kits that they can use anywhere they want to create an adventurous fort. To give you an insight into this new trend, here is everything you need to know about how to make a fort kit that allows you to build your fort anywhere.
However, you can also buy ready made fort building kits from GIGI Bloks!
Why build a fort kit?
While the idea of ‘kids playing outside’ has become passe in the modern era, the nostalgia from those times still lingers. Kids are often more interested in ‘screen time’ than spending time outside and creating new memories. When you were a child, you didn’t have the abundance of distractions today. With the internet, TV, and other forms of entertainment taking up a lot of kids’ time, playing outdoors has become a rarity. This is why adults who have been kids at some point are rediscovering the magic of playing outside and making their adventures. One of the best ways to do this is to build your fort.
What Makes A Good Fort Kit?
Both children and adults can use a good fort kit. You can build a fort just like you used to when you were a kid, or you can use it to create a unique space inside your home. To ensure you get the best fort kit on the market, you should look out for these things:
- Durability – The most robust fort kits are usually made out of plastic. While this might seem like an unusual material, it’s an excellent option for this kind of kit. It’s durable, easy to clean, and light enough to be portable.
- Ease of assembly – If you’re going to be using this kit for more than one occasion, it must be easy to assemble and disassemble. It should also be easy to carry around if you want to take it with you on vacation.
- Quality of the materials – Not only should the materials be durable, but they should also be easy to clean. While kids will be playing in the kit, they will inevitably make a mess.
The Best Materials for a DIY Fort Kit
The best materials for a DIY fort kit are as follows:
- Plastic – This is an excellent choice for a fort kit because it can be used anywhere. You can assemble it outside or indoors. You can even use it to create a playhouse for your kids.
- Fabric – This can be used to create walls, roofs, and floors for your fort kit. It’s easy to clean, and you can use it outside or indoors.
- Straps – If you’re creating a large kit, you might find that straps help keep everything together.
- Rope – If you’re planning to create a large kit, you might find that rope helps tie your kit together.
How to Make a Fort Kit
If you want to make your DIY fort kit, you’ll need to start by choosing the materials that you want to use. You can use any of the materials from the above list or create a unique design that’s all your own.
Once you’ve selected the materials you want to use, you’ll need to start putting your kit together. Depending on the size of your kit, this process can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Once your kit is all put together, you can use it to create unique adventures so you can go back to being a kid again whenever you want.
What To Look For When Purchasing A Fort Kit
When purchasing a fort kit, you need to be sure that it meets the following criteria:
- Durability – Your kit must be strong enough to withstand normal wear and tear if you use it for kids.
- Easy Assembly – You don’t want to spend too much time putting your kit together. It should be easy to assemble, and it should be easy to disassemble.
- Ease of cleaning – Kids are messy creatures, so your fort kit will inevitably get dirty. It’s a good idea to purchase a kit that’s easy to clean.
- Strong materials – Your kit should be solid if you’re going to use it for kids. They might be too short of reaching some of the higher parts of the kit.
- Portability – If you plan on taking your kit on vacation, you’ll want to make sure it’s easy to carry around.
- Cost – While price shouldn’t be the deciding factor when purchasing a kit, you mustn’t overspend.
A DIY fort kit is a great way to create an adventure any time you want to return to being a kid again. This can be done indoors or outdoors, and it can be done with friends or family members. To get the most out of this childhood experience, you’ll need to choose the suitable materials and factor in how portable your kit will be. You might even want to create a kit that can be used both indoors and outdoors to use whenever and wherever you want.