A supplement can help you with so many things besides weight loss. Supplements can help you boost your metabolism, prevent diseases like cancer, and even help repair all those damaged cells. Many supplements can also help you control cravings and give you a better night’s sleep. It’s no wonder that most people look to supplements for health. Despite this, there are so many varieties out there that figuring out which is appropriate for you and what they can do can be difficult.
What Are Supplements?
We all know that supplements are good for us, but what exactly are they? Supplements are compounds that you can take to improve your health and wellness. They’re typically minerals and vitamins, though sometimes they’re also things like protein powders, pre-workout drinks, or reconstituted powders. These supplements can also improve brain function like those offered over at. The term “nootropics” refers to this type of supplement. Most people will know them as nutritional compounds or ingredients that are ingested or applied to the body to enhance or improve health. According to some estimates, the market is massive, standing at over $140 billion in 2020 and growing each year.
Which Vitamins And Minerals Are Best For Overall Health?
Supplements can make a huge difference in our health. Most people know about vitamins, but many of us are entirely unaware of the wide variety of other supplements available. These include things like probiotics, magnesium, omega 3 fats, herbal extracts, vitamin D, fatty acids, and many more.
Nootropics, also known as smart drugs, memory boosters, and cognitive enhancers, are substances that are meant to improve your mental functions. When used in excess, they can be dangerous. However, they are a class of drugs and supplements that have shown promise in improving cognitive function in healthy human subjects. Interestingly, caffeine is perhaps the most well-known nootropic available that aids attention; however, there are numerous others.
They are generally classified as choline-containing compounds because they are stimulants that can increase brain cell membrane fluidity. The increased fluidity in the cell membranes allows for more efficient transmembrane ion transport and sharper cell-to-cell communication. These drugs and supplements include substances that enhance mental processes like:
- General brain health.
B vitamins are the umbrella term for a group of essential vitamins for health when we don’t get enough of them and are commonly called the B Complex vitamins. Some of these vitamins are:
- Thiamin: Thiamin is the B vitamin that helps keep the nervous system healthy and helps the body use glucose as fuel. Thiamin is synthesized in the body from foods that contain it, such as vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, and the body itself. Thiamin deficiency can cause various health problems, such as muscle weakness, heart disease, nerve problems, and congenital disabilities.
- Riboflavin: Riboflavin assists the body by using protein, fat, and carbohydrates. It also helps your body develop and maintain cells, keeps nerves and muscles healthy, and is needed to help make red blood cells. Riboflavin is found in almost all foods, although it is only available in minute amounts, so supplementation is often required.
- Niacin: Nicotinic acid is a B vitamin. Traditionally, it has been used to prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol, and promote good skin and hair health. Several recent studies have even linked niacin to weight loss in overweight people.
- Pyridoxine: Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that functions as an essential cofactor in some enzymes. It is also critical for maintaining the formation of nerve cells and red blood cells. Vitamin B6 is found in some foods and also in nutritional supplements.
- Folic acid: A B vitamin, folic acid is made naturally in our bodies and found in many foods. Treatment with folate prevents neural tube defects in the developing baby. Studies have also shown that it helps prevent heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis, and many other diseases caused by an unbalanced diet.
- Biotin: This water-soluble B vitamin is essential for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It also helps prevent heart disease, reduce the risk of stroke, and even help to prevent cancer.
Citrus fruits and vegetables are the best sources of vitamin C, a water-soluble vitamin found in several foods. The vitamin has been extensively studied since the early 1900s and is one of the most popular vitamins. Vitamin C is known to be an antioxidant that helps protect the body against damage from harmful molecules called free radicals. It also helps regulate blood pressure, protects collagen, and helps with wound healing. Due to its water solubility, most people end up becoming deficient. A good multivitamin often contains enough to cover the loss you might experience throughout the day.
Fish Oil (Omega 3, 6, 9)
Omega oils are a type of essential fatty acid (EFA). They are a type of fat found in foods that contain them, and You can obtain them from many foods. Unlike other fats, Omega 3, 6, and 9 are considered essential fats, meaning we must consume them to remain healthy, even if our body does not make them. Omega oils are suitable for the heart and have been proven to help prevent heart disease.
The mineral magnesium can be found in every cell in your body. Not surprisingly, its deficiency is linked to many health problems. For instance, it is essential for a healthy heart, bone health, and energy metabolism. Without adequate magnesium, your body cannot store enough calcium, and your muscles cannot store enough magnesium. Moreover, magnesium is essential for maintaining a healthy immune system and regulating blood sugar levels.
Zinc is an essential trace element for numerous biological functions, including cell division, wound healing, and immune system function. Zinc deficiency is linked with many diseases affecting the digestive, nervous, reproductive, immune, and skin systems.
Probiotics are a supplement that provides a health benefit to humans. These microbes, which are naturally present in the body, are thought to have health benefits, especially when taken in adequate amounts and
Your body needs numerous vitamins and minerals for it to function correctly. It can be challenging to get everything required throughout the day, where a high-quality supplement comes in.