Amidst all the career options available for students after they complete their 12th, the merchant navy is a bit different. It gives quick financial stability at a very young age. Coming to the type of life it provides, one gets to explore various parts of the world while performing his duty at sea. 9/10th of the world’s cargo is shipped through waterways, and it requires immense workforce and infrastructure to keep things running. A career in the merchant navy gives you the opportunity to become a part of that workforce and soar towards bigger dreams.
There are multiple streams available which one can opt for to join the merchant navy. However, marine engineering is the most sought after stream among youngsters. Specialized merchant navy courses in Indian institutes, which make the students deck ready.
Eligibility to join merchant navy after 12th
One has to satisfy the following eligibility criteria to pursue a career in the merchant navy:
- The student must have completed his/her class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
- Only unmarried candidates are eligible to apply for merchant navy courses.
- Though 6/6 vision is desired, glasses with up to -2.5 power may be accepted.
- One has to complete the mandatory ship-training course before actual deployment aboard a ship.
Six great reasons to join merchant navy after 12th
We have already discussed in brief about the benefits of joining the merchant navy, but now we shall talk about the main reasons why one should opt for it just after the intermediate.
- Less qualification is required: Joining the merchant navy after 12th doesn’t require you to produce a degree in any specific specialization. Also, you are not bound with any CGPA criteria but it is necessary to secure at least 60% in intermediates to secure admission in the best maritime training institutions.
- Salaries and Perks: The lucrative pay structure and emoluments of marine engineers are well known to those who are aware of the job profiles of the merchant navy. However, there’s a double benefit as a marine engineer doesn’t have to pay for his lodging and nourishment during his tenure at sea. Also, opting for a career in the merchant navy just after school gives you the much-needed head start in your professional life!
- Leaves: A marine engineer is entitled to a leave of half the duration of his tour after his tour completion. For instance, if he has completed a six-month tour, then he is entitled to a leave of three months.
- Free traveling: Though traveling is a part of their jobs, traveling in itself doesn’t sound like a bad idea, and it becomes even greater when you are getting paid for it. Thus, merchant navy courses give you a unique work profile in which you work, travel, and learn!
How to join a merchant navy course after 12th?
Just after completing their intermediate, interested students can appear for the IMI entrance exam or All India Merchant Navy Entrance Exam, which is usually conducted in May. There are few other entrance exams that also serve as a gateway to marine engineering colleges like Joint Engineering Entrance, MERI, TIMSAT, etc. Candidates can apply for all these entrance exams through the online mode.
Overall, joining the merchant navy after 12th gives you a golden opportunity to climb up on higher positions of responsibility sooner than the others who enter the field after graduating.