The kitchen is considered to be the center of the home, where family, friends, relatives, and colleagues gather. Along with the pleasant moments of being together in this room, a mess often happens. There are typically all kinds of items: pots, cutlery, jars, knives, mixers, napkins, and containers that simply do not fit in a traditionally small room. In this case, it is customary to talk about capacity as the main attribute of the kitchen.
Ergonomics of the Work Area
It is known that the main processes in the kitchen are associated with regularly repeated actions: storing food, washing it, and cooking. This is the only room where the “rule of the triangle” applies. The main participants of these actions are the refrigerator, sink, and stove. It is not difficult to organize the space in the kitchen while considering the rules of ergonomics, in which the order of typical movements is not bothered.
Rules for placing the main objects in the kitchen:
- Any cabinet, oven, or freezer door should open freely.
- Think about where to store large objects like carbon steel wok, saucepan, and cutting board as they should not only be easily reachable but a carbon steel wok should also be stored in a dry place.
- The stove is placed against the wall or in the corner area, closer to the dining table. You can not put it near the window: from the slightest spark, light curtains can catch fire.
- The surface of work tables must be heat-resistant, capable of withstanding the temperature of a hot pot or pan.
- The height of the hood in the kitchen should be 60 cm or more — a low level increases the risk of injury.
- Place the sink in the middle of the working triangle.
You should also follow the following recommendations:
- The place for cooking in the kitchen should be located as close to the stove as possible.
- Place pots and pans in one place — on a common stand or hung on hooks.
- Separate cutlery in drawers by special nets or coasters.
- Store products in the specified order.
- Install sockets near the work area.
- Place small items in baskets.
- Decorate furniture, curtains, dishes in a single color scheme.
How to Start Decorating a Kitchen?
To begin with, think about the things and objects that you use regularly. Proper organization of space in the kitchen helps the rational arrangement of such items:
- Small household appliances (mixers, toasters, kettles, coffee grinders).
- Dryer for dishes, oven mitts, spices, and seasonings.
- Garbage can, household chemicals.
- Proper workplace lighting.
Having thoroughly thought over the location of each item at the beginning, you will not worry about reworking what you started in the future.
When equipping the useful area of the room, you need to take into account not only the convenience of its operation but also the rationality of using valuable space. To avoid crowding and discomfort, think about a clear organization of the kitchen space. Having made the right decision, the daily routine becomes an object of complete pleasure. It’s so nice to use neatly laid out items that do not need to be painfully searched for. Rational preparation of the premises is based on saving time, effort, and money.